Representatives from nine different member units were present at the first Faith Action
Steering Committee meeting of 2021 held on May 22nd. As part of an opening prayer,
attendees shared in the Zoom Chat their visions and dreams for an equitable community and just world: solidarity, love, compassion, empathy, everyone having the same facts, following the Golden Rule, sacrificing privilege—to name a few.
• Board members shared about trainings for members and a fellowship opportunity for
young/early-career clergy in the works, upcoming fundraising trainings in June to prepare for 2021 Faith Action investment drives, and the updating of our bylaws.
• Summer Pulpit Supply: Faith Action Organizer and recent Master of Divinity graduate Cassie Chee will be available to preach at member units’ services this summer to strengthen the connection between our faith and the values we act on.
• 2021 Legislative Recap: Nicole Woo (member of Harris United Methodist Church and also a policy analyst for Hawaii Appleseed Center for Law and Economic Justice) shared updates about the recent legislative session which reminds us that there is still much work to be done.
• Hawai‘i became the first state to declare a climate emergency. (supported by the
Environmental Justice Task Force)
• A “halfway” step to taxing REITs (supported by the HousingNOW! task force) passed in a bill that requires REITs to report their income and assets.
• Kupuna Caregivers Program (supported by Long-Term Care Task Force) was not funded by State budget for second year in a row.
• Chair Change: Matt Geyer (First Unitarian Church of Honolulu) stepped down as chair of the Environmental Justice Task Force and announced that Susan Gorman-Chang (Trinity United Methodist Church) will chair the task force going forward.
• New feature being added to the website: MEMBERS CORNER (tab on the menu of
faithactionhawaii.org) will give members access to organizational documents, annual
meetings, membership, and resources.
• The Steering Committee voted to:
• Welcome Chuukese Ministry Church to officially join the Faith Action ‘ohana! Pastor Efta was present to say hello and share about their church.
• Approve the creation of a Transformative Justice Task Force which will begin by
defining together what transformative justice looks like in our context.